The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Granger 20 - 22


Having read up through the end of chapter 21 in The Scarlet Letter I have had several mixed opinions about the text. I have enjoyed the main basis of the plot because it involves an interesting problem with no seemingly clear solution and it contains several problems on the side that appear as if they will make the book even more interesting in the following chapters.  What I mean by this is that the main problem of dealing with the rejection of the puritan society for an atrocious sin is interesting in and of itself.  It seems that there is no way for Hester to rid herself of the consequences and I personally enjoy reading the novel just to see if she finds something to live for in her seemingly ruined life.  The reader is also kept in constant anticipation of the impending doom in Dimmsdale’s future.  While the characters struggle with their sin to make up the main part of the plot in the first half of the book, other element are added to make it more interesting.  For example the presence of Chillingworth and his hunt for the father of Hester’s baby keeps the reader invested in the early chapters, and later on the reader is interested in how Chillingworth will exact his revenge and if it can be prevented.  I think the most intriguing side story is that of Pearl.  As the story line develops, the reader can’t help but notice that Pearl is not a normal child, but it has so far been unclear as to how deviant she is from normal and how this will affect the other characters. In chapters 20 through 22 these several story lines all begin to converge into one and I am interested to see how they will all connect.
            I have a couple criticisms on the novel as well.  One of these is that I dislike the way in which Hawthorne injects himself into the text and brings the reader along as well. There are many areas in which Hawthorne includes his own opinions and ideas in the narration of the story. At other points he even includes the reader in his opinionated statements using statements with “us” in which the reader is then being told by Hawthorne that they share his same opinion and outside view of this story.  For me, this makes it hard to tell if I am supposed to be reading the story and interpreting the plot for myself, or if I am supposed to be analyzing this story from an outside point of view, not as an actual story but more like a piece of data. My other criticism takes me to one of the topics I wish to discuss in class, this being the sudden switch from the realistic world to the world of fantasy.  Up until chapter 16 or 17 the story seems believable.  Even if some small elements seem to be a little over-dramatic such as the timing of Chillingworth’s appearance, they are still humanly possible and imaginable.  However the novel quickly begins to tie into its legendary roots and loses some of my respect.  At first it just begins with Pearl and her truly inhuman behavior. But then the entire setting becomes less rooted to reality.  At the end of chapter 22 Hester finds herself in this seemingly unreal scenario.  She had just listened to this music that seemed otherworldly and it had strange effects on here conscience. Then she finds herself surrounded by a strange crowed of people including Majestically dressed native Americans, unknown foreigners, and even a crew of the Spanish Main, who are described as pirate-like.  All of these people seem to be drawn to the scarlet letter like they have never been before. Some characters such as mistress Hibbins all of a sudden possess mythical powers of perception, and the rumors mentioned earlier of witches and other kinds of magic from the woods are now more than rumors.  In conversation with Pearl mistress Hibbins says, “They say, child, thou art of the lineage of the Prince of the Air! Wilt thou ride with me, some fine night, to see thy father?” (Hawthorne 217)  At this point the reader is questioning the true origin of Pearl. Is she literally some creature of the devil or some imp as suggested by her mother earlier in the novel? I personally dislike this inclusion of mythical sense in the plot. I find that it makes the themes of the novel less applicable to the reader.  I feel like I am no longer reading a story about people, but a fairytale.  I wish to discuss with the class Hawthorne’s motives for this sudden inclusion of a mythical sense.  I specifically want to analyze this new information about Pearl. I am fairly certain that “The Prince of Air”, referred to by mistress Hibbins, is the devil. Satan is sometimes referred to as a Prince in the Bible and he is said to have power over the air with his evil spirits.  I however, am not sure what a visit to this prince would entitle, and I wish to discuss this with the class.
            Another topic I wish to discuss with the class is the sudden transformation of Dimmsdale upon departing from the forest.  As he journeys home from the forest he has urges to sin and even to preach sin to the people around him. Near the end of his journey home Dimmsdale wonders to himself, “‘What is it that haunts and tempts me thus? …Am I mad? or am I given over utterly to the fiend? Did I make a contract with him in the forest and sign it with my blood?”’(Hawthorne 198) Once again this theme of a deal with the devil is brought up. I believe Dimmsdale is partially correct in his beliefs, however I don’t think he just made the deal with the fiend in the forest.  I believe that He made the deal with the fiend when he began his relationship with Hester over seven years ago, but now, after committing to renew this relationship with Hester in the woods, he is finally acting on his part of the deal and the devil seems to be immediately acting on his side as well. Now that Dimmsdale has fully given in to his sin he seems to have little control over himself, he also seems to be blessed with strength but I believe this is strength from the devil and not from his god.
          As I read these chapters, I could not help but notice the similarities between reverend Dimmsdale and Darth Vader or Anakin Skywalker. From a young age, both of these characters were viewed as young powerful leaders of the up and coming generation:  Dimmsdale a renowned minister for his young age, and Anakin with incredible power in the force as a child.  Both of these men were trained in their fields to bring good to their people. Dimmsdale learned to avoid sin and to preach and save others from the grasps of hell.  Anakin, in his Jedi training, was taught to be spiritually clean as well.  Both of these men were to avoid relationships and passionate sins, however, they both failed.  Dimmsdale’s relationship led him to a life of torture and poor physical health.  Anakin’s relationship turned him into a desperate crazed maniac and ultimately left him dying and limbless and then confined to a robotic body.  Now, as Darth Vader, Anakin was taught to use his passion and his anger to his strength. He became incredibly powerful physically and was fueled by evil.   It appears that Dimmsdale may be undergoing a similar change.  There is also a disturbing similarity between "the black man" and Emperor Palpatine. Finally, I am interested to see if the similarities continued.  Darth Vader, nearing the end of his life, made a change back to good again to save what was truly important to him.  I am interested to see if some similar scenario plays out with Dimmsdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment